‘Tis the season for hearty stews and Crock-pots. Last week I was vaguely aware there was a snowstorm coming, so I thought I would consult my vegan slow-cooker cookbook. Little did I know there was a full-on blizzard heading our way and this stew would taste better than expected.
Not to mention coming inside from shoveling and smelling this cooking away in the slow cooker is just divine.
This stew is hearty and warms you from the inside out and I highly recommend it for the winter months.
Without further ado, I present to you Italian-Inspired Vegan Veggie Stew!
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 6-8 hours
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 canned diced tomato with juices
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for about five minutes, until softened. Add garlic and sauteé a minute longer. Stir in tomato paste, oregano, basil and rosemary.
- Transfer the mixture into the slow cooker. Add carrots, celery, potatoes, bell pepper, chickpeas, tomatoes and the juices, and vegetable broth. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Adjust seasonings to taste, as needed.
Adapted from the recipe for Italian-Style Vegetable Stew from”Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker: 200 Ultra-Convenient, Super Tasty, Completely Animal-Free Recipes” by Robin Robertson.