Want to try being more environmentally conscious? What about being better to animals? What about your waistline? Incorporating more vegan meals into your life will help do all of these things for you, and to help, I’ve made a list of vegan substitutions you can use when baking!
To replace eggs:
- As a leavening agent, instead use 1/4 cup apple sauce, or 1/4 cup pureed tofu, or 1 mashed ripe banana.
- For binding, replace egg with 2 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water, or 2 tbsp potato starch + 2 tbsp water, or 2 tbsp instant mashed potatoes.
- For custard, replace each egg with 1/4 cup pureed tofu.
To replace dairy products:
- Use dairy alternatives, such as soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk or rice milk.
- To replace buttermilk, 1 cup unsweetened soy milk + 2 tbsp lemon juice will do the trick.
To replace butter:
- Look for alternatives in your grocery store, such as Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks.
Looking for even more eco-friendly kitchen options? Purchase the Home Basics Rolling Pin which is made from bamboo to continue adding to your greener kitchen!
Want more? Sign up for our NEW email list following this link! I promise I won’t email you anything boring!