The universe works in funny ways sometimes… last week I had done a little research on Himalayan salt lamps, and then my mom asked me out for lunch and we went to a restaurant where one was behind us. Turns out, she had been researching them too, and a couple days later she stopped by with one for me! She had originally purchased it for my bridal shower, but decided to give it to me early because she felt I could benefit.
I immediately put it in my den, and I immediately felt the positive effects.
Himalayan salt lamps are carved from the vast salt caves in the Himalayan mountains. When lit by a bulb or a candle and heated up, the salt releases negative ions into the room, which balance out the positive ions that are in the atmosphere. Positive ions are more common, brought into the world by electronics and people emitting their own energies, and can cause health problems and stress. Natural places, like beaches and waterfalls, have thousands and thousands of negative ions per cubic centimeter; crowded cities can have as little as 100.
The negative ions released by the salt add balance to the room, and by extension, balance to everyone in it. Salt therapy is apparently well known around Europe and some salt spas have been in operation since the mid 1800s.
It’s important to get one that is a good size for your room- the bigger the salt, the larger the room it is meant for.
One in three people are sensitive to the effects of negative ions, but it is my belief that everyone can benefit from having one. Here is a list of benefits these salt lamps bring…
- Its orange glow promotes relaxation.
- The negative ions force “bad air” (such as smoke, pollutants and toxins) to clump together and sink to the floor, which purifies the air.
- They can help reduce the symptoms of asthma and allergies.
- Increased levels of serotonin.
- Reduction in headaches.
- My skin feels better. I’ve been spending a lot of time recovering in my den since the accident, and at the end of the day, my skin would feel dry and tight almost. Now, with the lamp, I don’t get that feeling at the end of the day. This would be really great for an office!
As I experience more benefits, I will be sure to add them to this list. We love our salt lamp in my house.
I will leave you with this zenned out picture…
Do you have any home decor that is also beneficial in some way? I’d love to hear about it in the comments! ❤