Social media is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because you can keep up with family and friends. A curse because… of every other reason. For one thing, keeping up with family and friends doesn’t require much effort, so screen time tends to replace face to face time. There’s also the issues of performance and comparison, not to mention the negativity!
I made my Facebook in 2007 and I haven’t deleted it once. I’ve taken breaks and stepped away from it for extended periods of time, but it was always there. Eight years of social media is a long time.
How do you know when it’s time to step away from social media? Try asking yourself the following questions…
- Do you feel drained after using social media?
- Are you comparing your life to the lives of others you see on social media?
- Is social media frustrating you?
- Do you spend more than a few minutes a day mindlessly scrolling through the content?
- Do you find yourself pulling out a social media outlet in times of boredom?
If you answered yes to one or more of the above questions, you might want to consider taking a step away from Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. The good (or creepy…) thing about Facebook is that once you delete it, it still stays there in case you ever want to reactivate.
Whatever you decide to do about social media, if anything, I hope it makes you happy! Namasté, kind souls. ❤